Quick question about ro/di fitting

brian0813

I broke my supply quick connect fitting to my ro/di unit and I was wondering if its ok to replace it with a brass fitting, if not where can I pick one up? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

i would just say no as a gut reaction. Brass is copper and zinc. you're working so hard to clean the water why would you risk it? Even brass slowly oxidizes over time and that means something nasty (copper ions I think) is going into the water that you are wasting 10g/g to make. Home depot and menards both carry mur-lock push fittings and bulkreefsupply will have it here tuesday if you order it monday. Which fitting is it? Show us a picture. Maybe another reefer has that one. Granted, There are some people using tap water and if the brass is upstream of the RO/DI then you'd remove whatever you adding from it I guess, so I may be contradicted here, but remember that when the RO/DI is off it's still full of water and that brass will just be soaking in it. For me personally I would not risk it.

couldnt agree with herbie more , skip the brass if at all possible. i have seen brass mess with a reef and the work /money that is used to fix problem isnt worth the quick fix. find the correct part and do it right the first time . good luck and get that pic up peeps around here have a problem hoarding lol. so maybe someone has a part for ya

No brass = copper

Might try here or local hardware
Severn Trent Services
11700 S Cicero Ave, Alsip, IL ‎
(708) 389-5111 ‎ · severntrentservices.com
Category: Engineers-Waste Water Treatment
"The Type-Approved BALPURE® ballast water treatment system from Severn Trent De Nora was selected for use on two new 115000-dwt crude oil tankers being ..." - severntrentservices.com

I replaced my inlet with a
Brass fitting
If its the first fitting its not really going to make a difference
You have copper water lines
And the saddle valve strapped to the water line is copper
So how would it even affect it
It won't
Now if it was fitting later in the filter system then yes
But if its only the first fitting
It won't hurt anything at all

I replaced my inlet with a
Brass fitting
If its the first fitting its not really going to make a difference
You have copper water lines
And the saddle valve strapped to the water line is copper
So how would it even affect it
It won't
Now if it was fitting later in the filter system then yes
But if its only the first fitting
It won't hurt anything at all

This was my exact thinking. Thanks everyone ill grab the one I have for a backup and try to find the correct one at my local harware stores.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Yea it's not going to affect anything at all
Copper water line
Brass saddle valve
Brass inlet
There is nothing in the middle filtering the water anyway
Now if it was after your ro or di then yea brass would be a bad thing

As long as the brass/copper/zinc fittings are BEFORE the RO membrane, its fine.

Also - it was mentioned in a few posts above - we'd suggest you AVOID those self piercing saddles as a way to tap into your plumbing! There are som many better, inexpensive options available.

Russ

Back