My beautiful tangs from Exotic Aquaticx World

acasp4

Here is a pic of my Achilles and Chevron tang. Simply beautiful and I fell like I'm crazy lucky to have picked an Achilles that ate within an hour of being in the tank and even luckier to have it eat from my hand with in 2 days!!!!! Thanks Carl for the great fish!!!.

acasp4

If you viewed my other thread on the purple and yellow tangs I have decided to not add any more tangs into the tank. I will be adding other reef friendly fish wrasses ect. To the system but not for a while. I still plan on having a SPS Dominant tank even with all the fish, I'm confident in the size of my Skimmer, fuge, and my Bio pellets. Along with the 40 gallon water changes every 2-3 weeks..... I do have some bad news though that I'm honestly depressed about, yesterday afternoon I feed the fish and everyone was getting along and ate well no fish had any signs of illness or anything IV put in 15+ hours observing the tank and never did I see any aggression between the fish. Just my yellow belly damsel was a prick at times to the 6 line. Well I fed the fish and left for school and came back an hour later and immediately once I got how sat in front of the tank ... one of the yellow bellys and the blue hippo lay lifeless on the sand bed :((( I have no idea what happened all thank levels were perfect. My dad who remained in the room watching TV said he look over at a commercial break and took note of all fish and buy the next commercial the two fish were lifeless on the sand. What the hell happened???

Top Water

With as white as the sand and corals are it makes me think the tank is pretty new ?
If so you may have had a spike. Fish in picture look a little pale . Are you running copper ?
List your parameters .

gig

Someday I'll have a Chevron.
I finally got one from MWCF was back, tiny hawaiian juve, brilliant, he's now doubled in size and very dark in color, the beautiful orange is gone, but you can still see the purples, the crazy pattern is there, which is the coolest part about the adults (which he's not). Great, Hardy fish, just $$$ to get them. Also, I've never, ever got a good pic of him worth posting. :(

acasp4

With as white as the sand and corals are it makes me think the tank is pretty new ?
If so you may have had a spike. Fish in picture look a little pale . Are you running copper ?
List your parameters .

Tank is new but is cycled and was cycled with out lights. And I only have 2-24in 10k t5s on the tank as i finish soldering my leds. No copper

N03/NO2- NT
NH3/NH+4 - 0
PO4- 0- 0.1
pH- 8.2
Alk- 9
Ca- 440
Temp 80-81 to help keep ich away.

SALIFERT test kits.

Anything else I should test for?
These were the parameters after the deaths same day.

acasp4

I finally got one from MWCF was back, tiny hawaiian juve, brilliant, he's now doubled in size and very dark in color, the beautiful orange is gone, but you can still see the purples, the crazy pattern is there, which is the coolest part about the adults (which he's not). Great, Hardy fish, just $$$ to get them. Also, I've never, ever got a good pic of him worth posting. :(
Yea I wish they would stay the color as juveniles. Its so hard to get a pic with a phone. Can't wait till my brother comes home with his big fancy camera.

Steve1986

How long has your tank been up and running? This might of played a big role in deaths, i know you said its cycled but... Also with ich, it could of stressed your blue tang to death. I hope your other fish especially the Achilles with how sensitive they are, don't get sick and die on you also. Best wishes. Try taking it a little slower IMO

Joe Lydon

Spending all that dough and not using a QT setup. What's your salinity at? Most LFS run their stuff real low at ~1.017(for reasons I have yet to understand, because it's widely accepted that crypto will happily live at that level), it's not suggested to raise salt level by more than .003 per day, even less, to be safe. Salinity changes cause all kinds of fun stuff, like ruptured cells that can kill a fish "for no reason" down the road! It's always wise to know before buying a fish, what their current conditions are, so you can match it in a QT setup. I know a 20min bag float and swapping a few cups of water is advised, but it's garbage. Call ahead and match the params first and get the fish out of the bag ASAP, as to not subject it to ammonia poisoning. Fish can tolerate a temp change. If you've ever been in the ocean on a reef, deep currents are constantly mixing cold/warm water together. The fish you have that died, died for a reason. Just because you don't understand why, doesn't make it inexplicable. Maybe it was the collection method, or something else all together... Whatever the exact reason, I'm gonna go out on a limb and chalk it up to inexperience. There will be a lot of people who will say "i float bags, been working fine forever".. My grandfather smoked for 70yrs and didn't die from lung cancer.

acasp4

Spending all that dough and not using a QT setup. What's your salinity at? Most LFS run their stuff real low at ~1.017(for reasons I have yet to understand, because it's widely accepted that crypto will happily live at that level), it's not suggested to raise salt level by more than .003 per day, even less, to be safe. Salinity changes cause all kinds of fun stuff, like ruptured cells that can kill a fish "for no reason" down the road! It's always wise to know before buying a fish, what their current conditions are, so you can match it in a QT setup. I know a 20min bag float and swapping a few cups of water is advised, but it's garbage. Call ahead and match the params first and get the fish out of the bag ASAP, as to not subject it to ammonia poisoning. Fish can tolerate a temp change. If you've ever been in the ocean on a reef, deep currents are constantly mixing cold/warm water together. The fish you have that died, died for a reason. Just because you don't understand why, doesn't make it inexplicable. Maybe it was the collection method, or something else all together... Whatever the exact reason, I'm gonna go out on a limb and chalk it up to inexperience. There will be a lot of people who will say "i float bags, been working fine forever".. My grandfather smoked for 70yrs and didn't die from lung cancer.

If the two tangs were in the tank for about a week would the salinity still be in issue? Thanks for the info ill have to research more on that. My Salinity is 1.025

kratos1028

Blue hippos at the size you said (about a quarter) are very delicate to begin with. You need a well established tank with algae growing on the rocks for them to graze on since they might be too shy/scared to come out in the open and eat with the bigger fish. They are more hardier at about 1.5". If your system isn't fully established yet, that might be the cause for their deaths...

rosko23

Where was it located
745 n Edgewood ... I didn't see anything "quality" worthy.

And lfs keep salinity that low to "mask" the signs of ich. Most don't "qt" their fish like we would like. There are exceptions.. RW being one...