What is this?

yogoshio

After I dumped a bottle of Instant Oceans Bio-Spira into my tank when I started cycling (I know some like this idea and some don't, but BRS had good reviews, but anyway...) and now I have this white stuff on my glass that's not coming off. I'll get a pic up later, working right now, but I've scrubbed it with a regular brush and my magnet cleaner with glass attachment, and its still not budging.

dohc97

I have used bio spira several times when starting out tanks in both fresh and saltwater and never got anything like that. I second Jeni it kind of looks like calcium precipitated but it should also be on the rocks.

yogoshio

It doesn't cover all of my glass, and I can get a good view of all my rock, and there's nothing visible on them like this. Calcium is 460, alk is 10, and mg is 1400. In fact there's diatoms on some of my rock (still cycling) and coralline growing on it as well. No white covered rocks or anything. It's not even on my powerheads. I'm gonna pick up a flathead razor and see if that helps.

poidog

I have used bio spira several times when starting out tanks in both fresh and saltwater and never got anything like that. I second Jeni it kind of looks like calcium precipitated but it should also be on the rocks.
+1. weren't you dosing 2-part during your cycle?

yogoshio

I added it once to boost calcium up from 420 to 460, and alk from 8 to 9, but I only dosed half the alk. It could be precipitate, but it seems odd when my numbers were never much higher than normal.

poidog

It wouldn't hurt, but the excess calc has already precipitated it's self out, so it's not like it'll keep going and going until there is no calc. Clean off the precipitate. Wait for the water to clear up. Test. and do a PWC. Then don't touch your tank until cycle is done. The PWC may prolong the cycle by a week or so.

yogoshio

Cycle is already close to being done. Ammonia is already dropping, nitrates and nitrites are very low. That bio-spira really helped. I'll be following your advice though. Thanks Poidog.