Markitekt's 550g Build

markitekt

Hey guys,

So after 2 busy years of working and rehabbing our new house, I finally got around to start work on the tank setup. I bought a new tank about a year ago and it has been sitting in my garage since then, waiting for me to finish work on the basement. The tank is a peninsula style setup with the external overflow on the narrow, far side. I ended up putting the tank in a corner anyhow, so I painted the back wall black. Dimensions are 84x48x30h. It will be lit with 3x400MH and 4x110 VHO. The sump is an 8 foot 240g acrylic tank that will be sitting in a separate room. I plan on installing a surge tank, mounted from the ceiling in the adjacent room with all plumbing out of sight. I will also try to automate the water changes by using a 300g water storage tank. Top-off will be easy since my fish room has running water and the RO filter will be permanently running on a float valve. I've had plenty of time to think things through, now it's time to get to work.

Here's some crappy phone pics I took over time. Excuse the messy garage, I'm slowly cleaning up. I just build the stand a few weeks ago and still have to put finishing touches on it. At least the tank is in the house, whew.

jrpark22000

Premium member
That is one beefy stand, it won't ever be a failure point in the future :D

You got me hooked on how this 550 is going to look.

markitekt

That is one beefy stand, it won't ever be a failure point in the future :D

You got me hooked on how this 550 is going to look.
Thanks. Yeah, given that it'll be roughly 6000lb when full, I don't take chances. I'm shocked when I see some of the flimsy, fiberboard stands that come with large tanks.

DJE

Wow! Welcome back Mark and can't wait to see this monster up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyssrx

Premium member
Smooth is that a 8x4x30 ? very nice who built it if I may ask thanks. sorry I don't read just look at pictures lmao sweet size

cet98

all of a sudden my new 80gal build seems so................puny............:blink:

this is going be be a fun build to follow....taggin' along :thumb:

markitekt

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes with the build. I'm aiming high with this one. I shall keep this thread going with quality photos of the progress.

markitekt

Ok, so I got around to working on the tank. I've decided to relocate to a different corner of the basement. I vacuumed and wiped the inside of the tank. I rinsed the 350lb of sugar fine sand. Took a while to rinse. I dumped it in and pretty happy with the layer of sand. I have more to add if need to. I power washed the rock and plan on putting it in tomorrow.

DJE

Good stuff Mark! It's going to look awesome when completed. Looking forward to the rock work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk