maxspect gyre xf-150

+1 The gyres are the real deal. The new mounts make them virtually silent and the water flow is amazing. I can't wait for a controller to make the most out of these amazing pumps.

+1 The gyres are the real deal. The new mounts make them virtually silent and the water flow is amazing. I can't wait for a controller to make the most out of these amazing pumps.

But aren't the new mounts not included with the Gyre 150, and they cost $60.

Also, the new Vortech MP40 Quietdrive just came out and its supposed to be substantially quieter and more powerful than the previous MP40's. Do you guys think its essentially a toss up between getting the new technology (maxspect gyre flow) or an improved version of a brand that already has a foot hold in the market (vortech)?

I'm having a lot of trouble determining if I should get the new vortech mp40 or the maxspect gyre 150 for a 90g.

Last edited:
I have a gyre as well, bought one when they first came out. Like ghostman said, the new mounts are amazing, dead silent and the advanced controller will make these even better then they already are.

Now for what you were saying Mishmaster, if you order a gyre now, they will come with the new mount, if you bought a "gen 1" style, you can order a new mount for 10$ with free shipping. I went with the gyre as i have a 150 DD tank so it was hard to get full flow in my tank without making a sandstorm, i even tried to get the "perfect" flow with 4 jebao pumps and they didn't compare to the gyre

I have a gyre as well, bought one when they first came out. Like ghostman said, the new mounts are amazing, dead silent and the advanced controller will make these even better then they already are.

Now for what you were saying Mishmaster, if you order a gyre now, they will come with the new mount, if you bought a "gen 1" style, you can order a new mount for 10$ with free shipping. I went with the gyre as i have a 150 DD tank so it was hard to get full flow in my tank without making a sandstorm, i even tried to get the "perfect" flow with 4 jebao pumps and they didn't compare to the gyre

Where did you order your gyre XF-150, the 299.99 version from, with the new rubber mount? If I decide to buy it, I want to make sure I'm not getting a Gen-1.

I'm thinking Dr F & S since they have it on back order, so they would probably be getting the newer ones in?

Last edited:
Where did you order your gyre XF-150, the 299.99 version from, with the new rubber mount? If I decide to buy it, I want to make sure I'm not getting a Gen-1.

I'm thinking Dr F & S since they have it on back order, so they would probably be getting the newer ones in?

I got mine the day they released, so i got the older mount but just picked up the new mount when they dropped the price on them. I guess you could call a couple places and see if you can get the newer mounts if you order a gyre.

How are everybody's pumps doing so far? Still happy with them? Still thinking about getting one for my 180.

Neebles has had lots of problems. He had one side stop working. 3 Impellers have broken. And all withing 10 days of having it in his tank. He hates it.

Neebles has had lots of problems. He had one side stop working. 3 Impellers have broken. And all withing 10 days of having it in his tank. He hates it.

I been reading this on other forums too. Better off waiting for Gen2 pumps.

i clean it every month , switch settings and flow rates trying to break it for the warranty and mine works perfect

i clean it every month , switch settings and flow rates trying to break it for the warranty and mine works perfect

I do too and mine works perfectly fine. At first I was never but now it's like a walk in the park dismantling and putting back together with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about to clean mine for the first time this weekend, but have had it running since early January with no issues so far.

I just bought the XF150 model from BRS and yes, it now comes with the newer quieter mount.

My first reactions are, "Yeah its strong, it's quiet, and it's more discreet than some competitors. You can't really hear it unless you get past 50-60%, then it does become audible from a few feet away in a quiet room, but it's not annoying. At 80-100% I may not want to sleep in that same room,?? but I could still watch TV or read a book". Anyways, that is not an issue for me because I won't need flow past 30-50% anytime soon on my 90g.

The controller. I doubt they used focus groups, because the circular thumb dial thing is outdated. But it works! I won't touch the remote very often anyways, except during feeding time, so I'd like to have seen a separate big shiny button just for feeding mode so I won't have to cycle through all the modes (you know, so I can save two seconds of my precious time).

I am happy with my purchase, but I just set it up today so these are just first impressions.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoy it, it seems everyone who picks one up absolutely loves it along with me. You're right though, that controller isnt that great but it works. There's supposedly an advanced controller coming out sometime that should be a lot better

Well add me to the list of people having problems with this pump. Mine has simply stopped working (flashing red). Awesome!

Back