Poidog's 70g Tech Tank Build

Just a quick update on the tank.... last night I noticed that my ATO reservoir was empty after filling it up the day prior. Mind you I get about 3-5 days for the reservoir before I have to refill it so I found it a bit odd that it would be emptied this quick. I took a look and noticed my stand was swelled with water! If you remember, my stand is that cheap (although not price wise) Oceanic Tech stand that is made out of MDF. Mind you NO tank stand should EVER be made out of MDF because of the high possibility of accidentally water damage. I am incredibly careful and wipe up all spill so that I do not damage my stand, but in a circumstance like this, I had no control over it. What had happened was that the clear plastic that the ATO jug is made out of split (like the plastic got brittle from housing kalk water), and dumped about 1 gallon of water out through the crack (Jug was from the container store. I have a new back up one that I'm using, but over time this one will do the same thing. Because of this I'm spending the money (unfortunately) to have a custom acrylic ATO reservoir that fits my area made.

If you remember when I set up the tank (go back to the first posts,I placed 2x4s in the back of the stand for rear structural support because of the MDF. I'm glad I did that now as I'm sure those 2x4 supports are what is carrying the majority of the tank load, on the left side, now. I now have to place a 2x4 support on the front left corner because the water was absorbed by the whole left side of the stand supports - front and rear. It is structurally fine now, but now that it has water swell I don't trust it for the long haul and need to add additional supports.

I'll be calling Oceanic today to express my concern and disapproval of their materials they are using. I don't think I'll get me anywhere, but they need to know that MDF should not be used anywhere around water!

That sucks. I have to check out my container now since I got the same one u had. But do u think it was due to the Kalk?

That sucks. I have to check out my container now since I got the same one u had. But do u think it was due to the Kalk?

I have had 2 crack now. The first was a small crack towards the top, so it didn't really leak. I tossed that up to just a defective jug. This one was a crack all the way down the jug, and was perfectly fine when I started using it about 1-2 months ago. So yes, I am ruling it as it has to do with the kalk and the plastic used to make the jug. I would not trust them and would discontinue use of it immediately. I am using a brand new one (that I had as a back up) and will be replacing it out as soon as the acrylic one is in.

Stand reinforced and ATO reservoir on order. Anthony from Nano Sea Creations is making it - local acrylic guy http://www.nanoseacreations.com/

He gave me a very fair price and will be available for pick up this weekend. Will be the same design as this on:
http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/melevsreef/58681-custom-auto-top-off-container.html

You should have him add the little pump/pickup area like the one that BRS used on their BRS TV episode. That will help you keep Kalk saturated without picking it up.

That's neat. I use an aqualifter pump instead of the submerged pump they used. I just position the intake line about 1/2 inch above the bottom so I don't suck up any settled kalk.

That's neat. I use an aqualifter pump instead of the submerged pump they used. I just position the intake line about 1/2 inch above the bottom so I don't suck up any settled kalk.

Yeah, I just figured you could put the pickup for the aqualifter in that little area for added reassurance.

That's looks kool. But if ur gonna use the aqualifter mayb u can have sumwhat of a table with a 1/4" hole for the hose.

---0---
| |
---- ----
Something like that.

The ATO reservoir made by nano sea creations is done and ready to be picked up. Looks real nice. I like the euro bracing the did on the top.

2012-01-14_10-10-19_564.jpg

Back