Poidog's 70g Tech Tank Build

That is awesome man. My wife was teasing me that I would do this, and now I am pretty sure it is going to happen. So cool to take a quick look at your tank from your smartphone or office.

The webcam is up! I'll leave it placed where it is now for reef view, but when I'm out of town I'll move it so I can see the tank and sump so I can keep an eye on the whole system.

Watch my reef LIVE

Hey Eric, I tried to access the link via my iPad, no dice, switched to activeX and no video, does it work on apple products?

I'm currently using an old linksys wvc54g wifi camera, it works good, but no night mode and doesn't work on mobile devices, except iPhones and iPads using safari.

They havent upgraded the software and firmware in years, so it's kinda crappy now

Hey Eric, I tried to access the link via my iPad, no dice, switched to activeX and no video, does it work on apple products?

It only works on iPhone/iPad with the dlink app, so not for public viewing. There might be some third party browser apps thatll itll work in. It works on my macs just with Firefox. Safari doesn't like the plug in.

I also paid for the extra for night mode so I can use it as survalalence outside when needed

It only works on iPhone/iPad with the dlink app, so not for public viewing. There might be some third party browser apps thatll itll work in. It works on my macs just with Firefox. Safari doesn't like the plug in.

I also paid for the extra for night mode so I can use it as survalalence outside when needed

Are you using the mydlnk+ app? Of course it's not free....could be worse, the sling box app is $30, I've had to buy a BB app, the iPad app and will likely buy the iPhone app when I get it working again...that's 90 for those scoring at home ;)

Alight, a little update on my DA reefkeeper system. When I added the NET module I began having some issues with my system as a whole. I was getting skewed iTemp and pH readings and my moonlights weren't powering up all the way.

The problem? Too many modules and not enough power. Also, as you daisy chain the modules together the iTemp is at the end of that chain and the signal degrades skewing the temp reading.

The solution? A RKM-HUB.

They aren't very expensive and ordered one from Jeremy at PA (Thanks Jeremy for taking care of me!). I got it in next day... all excited finally to get my system working.... got it all hooked up... nothing. No power through the HUB, nothing working. Stumped, I called DA customer service where they troubleshoot over the phone and nada. So they process a replacement... but can take about a week coming from Cali and the holiday. Saddened, I opened up the HUB and whoa! way to go quality control... nothing is soldered to the circuit board! So I get excited to have an excuse to whip out the soldering iron, 20 minutes later, Voilà! fixed and working HUB.

I get everything plugged in, (the HUB allows you to connect everything to it in a star like pattered instead of daisy chaining the modules together without it), plug in the HUBs auxiliary power source and everything is up and running perfectly. I would say that this HUB is needed after you get to 3/4 modules. Not only does it boost the systems power, but it allows your bus cables to be connected with no signal degradation to the head unit.

How my system is now connected:

RKL -> PC4 -> HUB <- aux power
......................| -> iTemp
......................| -> SL2 -> pH -> ATO switch
......................| -> NET
......................| -> MLC -> 3x LED

Glad you got this worked out. i'll be calling you when I get my net module :becky:

The NET is a pain to get it all working... it still can't get it to accept a DHCP reservation so that it is the same IP address all the time. It works fine without me reserving, but once I reserve it (tied to the NETs MAC address) I can't access it. It is very frustrating as it should have no effect on the NET as it's a router function. The webcam is step up with DHCP reservation and it works just fine. grrrr

Wanna see some super sick actinic pics? These are 100% real!

Tierra del Fuego
IMG_2789.jpg

Snocone Prostrata
IMG_2792.jpg

Frogspawn
IMG_2794.jpg

Scoly
IMG_2795.jpg

WWC Situation chalice
IMG_2796.jpg

Golden Watermelon chalice
IMG_2798%252520%2525281%252529.jpg